Hip Pendulum Exercise
Scar tissue within the hip joint after hip arthroscopy surgery can lead to persistent pain and need for revision surgery. Gentle motion of the hip after surgery provides nutrients to the cartilage, promotes tissue healing, decreases hip stiffness, and prevents the development of scar tissue. This at home program is to be used in addition to outpatient physical therapy after surgery.
When: 20 minutes 3 times per day starting on Day #1 after surgery.
What you need:
- Friend or family member
- Elevated flat surface (ex. couch or bed)
- Lay on flat elevated surface (couch or bed)
- Assistant stands on the same side as the operative hip
- Assistant to cradle the patient’s lower leg in both forearms
- Keep patella pointed to the ceiling.
- The assistant gently moves the hip in small clockwise and counterclockwise circles by moving the forearms in and out
- Perform continuously through arc of hip flexion from 30o to 70o for 20 minutes, 3 times per day.
!! IMPORTANT !! All movements are to be done PASSIVELY (the patient should not assist in movement keeping all hip muscles completely relaxed)